Note: read to p. 64 by Thursday, p.79 by Monday.
The end of Part I of The Stranger is building up to Marie and Meursault on the beach. Chapter 6 is important. At first, Meursault seems to be happy for the first time and thinks he will marry Marie. They swim and eat food. Then the men go for a walk. Stay tuned for what happens next!
all pages are in subtext
p.49b Boss offers to send M. to Paris. He refuses saying 'it was all the same to me.' The boss is upset
p 50 Marie asks M to marry. read this paragraph and discuss. Is M just way too honest?
p51 I didn't say anything. (what does this phrase usually tell us?)
p51 Paris is dirty. Everybody's pale. (idea vs. reality)
p51 The women were beautiful and I asked Marie if she'd noticed. (Bad idea?)
p53 Salamano hadn't been happy with hsi wife 'but he'd pretty much gotten used to her.' (what?)
p.53 the neighbors thought badly of M for putting his mom in a home
p.58 I really thought I was going to get married.
p61 pay attention and annotate the sun references in ch 6. How does he react to the sun?
p62 Action! Violence!
p63 M doesn't like explaining to women so goes for a walk
p.66-68 so many SUN references. How is he affected?
Part II
p70 SPOILER ALERT!
