Friday, March 18, 2011

Respond to Student Observations

Respond to the following student reactions to The Stranger.
  1. Meursault  is very difficult to pin down. I really wish M. Meursault would just reveal himself. I find his character so baffling that I’m having a hard time decoding the main themes of the book—he has no personal convictions of his own.
  2. Meursault is frustratingly incoherent. The meaning of the book has to be that it’s as absurd to have a purpose in life as it is for purposelessness to be the purpose.
  3. Going on in life without a purpose seems to me pointless, but the others in my group think it’s okay!
  4. Meursault is a sponge who is open to his surroundings. He is acutely aware of his surroundings, yet is completely outside of them. Meursault finds peace of mind in this neutral state.
  5. Instinct and emotions are different, and Meursault has taught himself to live on instincts.
  6. Camus is encouraging us all to find our own distinct meaning in life, whatever that may be, because only that discovery and subsequent embrace can bring you consummation and happiness.  I believe Camus intentionally made Meursault a strange and almost repugnant character so that the reader could uncover his own true self through the fundamental disagreement of character that the reader feels with Meursault.